Thursday, April 26, 2012

finding actors

If you post it, they will come.
I have never had difficulty in finding actors. Of course, I was specializing for a number of years in youth artistry in the theater, and so finding young people interested in exploring theater arts was never a problem. I was connected with 4-H and with homeschooling organizations, so with just a few posts I was usually inundated with actors.
Recently, I have been thinking about moving on to adult actors. This may prove more challenging. One of my friends is posting on Facebook about the practice currently of asking actors to work for free. Now, granted, he concedes that if *no one* is getting paid, it is fair to ask that actors are  also volunteers. This is almost a necessity with new material or new organizations. However, as the organization moves on, actors should be benefitting along with the rest of the company.
Perhaps it's time to go back to the shareholder model of Shakespeare's day?
I think my friend's posts are relevant, not only for those who hire actors, but also for the actors themselves. Actors need to think twice before giving it away.
I will have to muse on this and reflect on my budgetting experiences with my past theatrical endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment