Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hell week- continued...

So day 2- Friday- went much like day 1- It was hot and sticky and so was I and not in a good way.

Saturday I had "off"- although dh K and I had several social engagements and shopping to get through- and we managed.

Sunday - from noon, the hot part of the day, on!- was our set-building marathon.

I have to say, it was pretty awesome. From bare cement to 3 painted façades and several accent/ masking units in 5 hours in the hot sun- amazing.

One of the aspects I love about the set-building day is the camaraderie of all the families working together. We see dads and siblings on set-building day that we haven't met before. Also, everyone is involved. Everyone, especially this time, had something to do: lift something, clean something, cut something, paint something.

It is "many hands make light work" at its finest. It is *satisfying*, too, to see tangible results of your work- unlike many of the other of the director's tasks.

So, that was a long, satisfying day.

Yesterday, Monday, was the first dress rehearsal, and we brought in the sound equipment. We brought in the lighting, too, but didn't have time to deal with that on Monday. Maybe tonight.

There are issues that we discovered with the set that we must address: the enormously wide stage has huge areas that need masking to hide the backstage areas. Everything needs stabilizing due to the wind.

And my sound designer apparently attended entirely different meetings- with me- than I did! Because the sound design is NOT Western at all. The farts I asked for and the chimes I asked for are not there. We will see if it is amended today; if not, it will be a long night tonight or an early morning tomorrow for me - with or without the sound designer.

Oh! And, daily I've been getting sunburns, despite increasingly desperate efforts to stay out of the sun. No worries today, though: it's supposed to rain!

Of course it is!

I'm ready for theatre magic to kick in, whenever...

No comments:

Post a Comment