Saturday, March 5, 2016

atmosphere

When I was studying theater in Moscow at the Moscow Art Theater School*, I had the opportunity to tour churches that were hundreds of years old.

When I was in Jerusalem*, I had the opportunity to visit churches and synagogues that were hundreds of years old, sometimes on sites where people had worshipped for thousands of years.

In each of these instances, I felt a difference in the ambience, the "feel"- the atmosphere- in that space.

These are places where people have assembled and shared experiences for generations. There is human energy and intention that has been invested in these spaces.

Some museums have their own atmosphere. Some libraries, too. Some homes, too, have a special feel, a homeyness about them.

Some theater spaces are like that. 



*I just love saying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment