Friday, July 13, 2012

Ask and Answer

Wouldn’t you like to know?

What would you like to know about theater or directing? I’m renewing my commitment to my blog and to my theater writing. I’d love to have your help.
What topics are the highest priority to you? What questions do you have? What answers do you have? What dilemmas? Discussions? Insights? Inspirations?

Either email me or post on my professional page. I look forward to your rants, raves, trials, triumphs, greatest moments, worst moments, your fears, your jeers, your cheers.
Some topics I’ve tackled and/or I’ve been thinking about:

Art vs. Commerce



Audience: check here or here
Auditions
Awards
Casting: check here
Choosing Scripts: check here
Comedy
Community building
Competition vs. Collaboration
Criticism
Directing
Director’s concept
Ensemble
Feedback
Funding: check here
Giving Notes: check here
Hell week
Playwriting: check here
Scheduling: check here
Set building
Shakespeare
Stanislavski
Teaching and directing: check here
Theater magic: check this, or this one, or this by Beth, or Beth again
Youth artists: check here

... what else should we be thinking about?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Yes, please. To the vast majority of the above. :) My one & only experience directing was... well. Let's just chalk it down to being in college, both of my actors also being in college (only one of them particularly caring about the role), and trying to do a Moliere scene for my first attempt.

    And my current goal (once I can afford it) is to take the GED & get into a Master's program in Theatre (well, MC's version, which is really Communications). So I will probably end up teaching at the college level, meaning I will most likely end up having to direct again at some point. Eeep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Monique- I will look at gathering some of the past blogs, and some of my current thoughts, and then try to fill in the gaps- and try to come up with a "Lisa's guide for beginning directors"- how does that sound? And you can be one of my pre-publication readers!

    ReplyDelete