Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Reflections on Stanislavski

I am teaching a class on the Makers of Modern Theater. I am having the opportunity to re-read Stanislavski's An Actor's Work in the new translation by Jean Benedetti.

I am asking the students to identify key terms and define them, supporting the definitions with quotes from the text.

Stanislavski's writing style, and the convoluted paths of his writings to publication and translation, make for a text that is sometimes confusing and hard to pull together. Nonetheless, there are gems to be found and savored.

Perhaps it is just reading through my own lens, but I am heartened when I read places where KS seems to agree with my own thoughts and process:

"You must absorb and filter any system through yourself, make it your own, retain its essentials and develop it in your own way." xxv

"When choosing an action, leave your feelings alone. They will appear of their own accord as a result of something which has gone before, that evokes jealousy, love, or suffering." 43

"You must use accidents, feelings wisely, must not reject but cherish and yet not base your artistic planning on them." 338

The last quoted reminds me of what I so often tell actors: use what you bring. If you've had a fight, if you are worried, let the energy of those feelings influence your actions in character- within your character's Given Circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment