Friday, March 19, 2010

dramaturg

The position of dramaturg was unfamiliar to me until I returned to college for my PhD.

A dramaturg is a researcher and reporter. A dramaturg researches a play, a playwright, a time period or any combination of these, to report back to the production. Sometimes the research is directly applied to the production, influencing the design of costumes, set or props; sometimes the research is shared with the audience in a lobby display or program notes. Sometimes the research is shared with the cast and crew to give a richer, deeper appreciation of the play's setting or characters.

This in depth research is a part of my preparation and process in directing.

At present, for Ghosts, I am researching:
- Norway
- the 1880s
- Bohemian Paris
- the status of women at the end of the 19th century
- Ibsen
- meerschaum pipes
- orphanages

that's for a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment