I've just finished the rehearsal schedule: version 1.0-- for the current production. Scheduling rehearsals for a summer production of a youth theater is TRICKY. Our troupe insists that the last two weeks are clear for our cast members to concentrate on the play. However, when working with teens in the summer time-- with summer vacations, family events, lessons and classes, the process of scheduling involves intricate intellectual acrobatics.
I have completed a schedule that will please no one, and will barely address the needs of the production.
I've covered everything: working with the text, character work, stage combat workshops, blocking rehearsals, working rehearsals, stumble throughs, run throughs and tech. I've set deadlines for props, for lines learned, for costume parades, for set construction.
I've committed approximately 200 hours of my life over the next month and a half.
And I know I will be scrambling at the end...
Goal: for the next show I direct, I will have a set rehearsal schedule that the actors adapt to, rather than the scheduling-- and the director-- adapting to the actors.